Idea: 254-ultra-light-client Title: Integration of ULC in Status Status: Draft Created: 2018-05-02
Current LES is not yet optimized for ultra-light devices like mobile phones. So in the first step introduce the ULC addressing this kind of clients.
- Lead Contributor: @b00ris
- Testing & Evaluation: TBD
- Contributor: @jeka
- Contributor: @themue
- PM: @zsfelfoldi (external)
- UX (if relevant):
Current LES is not optimized for usage on mobile phones. So Status is using Infura with all its assets and drawbacks. ULC is addressing ultra-light clients and distribution without dependency to central providers. Instead a network of trusted LES nodes acts as counterpart for the protocol.
So Status is supporting the development and testing of ULC to accelerate integration into
well as into Status itself.
- Research of ULC design
- Definition and implementation of ULC
- Integrate ULC in
Minimum Viable Product
Goal Date: 2018-07-02 Working board: https://github.com/status-im/go-ethereum/projects/5
- New Ultra Light Client mode is added to patched LES
- Integrate ULC with
status-gowith Status nodes as trusted nodes
- Collect metrics (CPU, mem, disk, network I/O) when starting with a branch new install and after 1h of inactivity
- Keep battery and network consumption at least as low as today with Infura
Iteration 2018-05-21 - 2018-06-04
Goal Date: 2018-06-04
- Fix downloader N/M validation
- Fix announce type on handshake
- ULC config refactoring
- PR to
Iteration 2018-06-04 - 2018-06-18
Goal Date: 2018-06-18
Description: ULC milestone 2018-06-04
Iteration 2018-06-18 - 2018-07-02
Goal Date: 2018-07-02
Description: ULC milestone 2018-06-18
go-ethereum is extended to use ULC with a similar or better use of bandwidth and CPU as Infura.
Copyright and related rights waived via CC0.